Sunday, January 20, 2013

6ish months later...

Goodness, I am awful about making sure I write in my blog! So, now I have almost a half a year's experience to catch up on.  The most exciting moment right now is that tomorrow is the first day to try on a wedding dress! We are definitely in planning mode now that all of the holidays are over.  I just feel like once I find my dress it will feel like everything is coming together! Now if I could just nail down a color, we'd really be getting somewhere!

Since the last time I updated the blog, I've had some of my favorite rotations.  The rotation after neurology, neurosurgery, was definitely my favorite.  The first day on the service, the doctor asked me tons of anatomy questions, which were right up my alley, so he definitely had some trust in me after that day.  From that day on I got to open and close almost every surgery and even got to do whole carpal tunnel surgeries and muscle and nerve biopsies myself, under close supervision, of course! I never expected to get to do so much on my first surgery rotation.  It is definitely one of the things I could imagine doing for the rest of my life!

After Neurosurgery, I moved on to Cardiovascular/Thoracic Surgery, which I loved! There's not many things cooler than holding a beating heart! Once I proved that I knew my way around the OR, the surgeons gave me the responsibility of suturing the leg after harvesting veins, and as I got quicker with that, I got to move up closer to the heart each day, eventually getting to help with bypass surgeries and getting to close the chest.  The heart is a part of the body I have always been fascinated with, so then again, I would love to be able to do this as a career, 9 hour surgeries and all!

I came into medical school thinking I would be an orthopedic surgeon, and after my Orthopedic Surgery rotation, I'm not so sure about that! The thing is, the part of orthopedics that I really loved, the spine surgeries, is what I got to do in Neurosurgery, and the rest felt like the exhaustion of holding limbs.  It was a very valuable rotation, especially since I got to see a range of hospitals from LeBonheur to The Med, but I was exhausted most days and of it just didn't seem to fit.

My four months in Memphis were so much fun, mainly because of my lovely cousin Christy! I had such a blast having a roommate again, and we never had a dull moment.  Christy was on a pretty strict diet and didn't keep bad stuff in the house, so it was a lot easier to lose weight down there, and a 24 hour gym didn't hurt! Total I am up to a 29 pound loss, which is much less than I hoped to be by this point, but I still have time! I'm in Hopkinsville now, and they have given the students a free YMCA membership, so it's definitely crunch time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment